Believe it or not, buying a bed frame that’s just the right size for your bedroom isn’t the walk in the park that most people expect it to be.
Aside from the actual size, you will have to choose a bed frame style and trust me, there are a lot of different styles to choose from.
Today we’re going to talk about the size of a king bed frame compared to other standard sizes, but we’ll also provide a short guide on the different types of king bed frames, so you might just discover a new style that’s more to your liking.
King Beds vs. the Others
Queen and king-sized beds are the most common choices amongst couples. However, because of its width, a king-sized bed frame is preferred by those who like to have plenty of sleeping space. Here are some figures that might interest you:
- Toddler bed frames typically measure 27 x 52 inches and can easily be paired with crib mattresses.
- Twin beds are an upgrade from toddler beds, measuring 39 x 75 inches. Twin extra-long frames are five inches longer, but both sizes are suitable for small children, but also teenagers.
- Moving up the ladder, we find the full bed frames, which measure 54 inches in width and 75 in length. They are also referred to as double beds and they were the predecessors of king and queen beds. If you have a teenage kid that’s shorter than 65 inches, when a full bed is the best choice.
- Queen-size bed frames measure 60 x 80 inches, but there are also wider and longer versions of this bed. For those of you interested in extra width, you can opt for the Olympic queen, which is 66 inches wide. Alternatively, the California queen bed measures 60 x 84 inches.
- A king-sized bed frame measures 76 inches in width and 80 in length. It’s a common choice amongst people who love the extra room. Some will also opt for California king beds, which are 72 inches wide and 84 inches long. Because of its size, sleeping with a partner in a king-sized bed is basically the same thing as sleeping alone in a twin
How Big is a King-Sized Box Spring and How Do You Move it?
While mattresses are pliable and can be easily maneuvered through a house and doorways, a box spring or platform cannot. These are constructed of solid wood or metal frames. So, with king-sized bases, they often come in two sperate sections that are then held together by the frame.
This is usually two smaller, whole box springs and you can even use two twin sizes or two doubles.
What’s the Difference Between King and California King?
There’s not a whole lot of big differences between a king and a California king. With a standard king bed, the dimensions are around 76 inches in width and 80 in length. Pretty spacious. But a California King offers a few extra inches of width as well as length, which is great for those who are extremely tall or have the room to accommodate it. Most California’s are about 72 inches wide by 84 inches long.
Who Would Benefit from a King-Sized Bed or Bedframe?
Couples who are on the heavy side that might require a bit more space to sleep would definitely enjoy a king bed. Also, those who are light sleepers and have a loud or restless sleeper for a partner can opt for a king bed to give that extra space in the middle to absorb motion transfer.
Families with small children who co-sleep would benefit from the spacious sizes of king beds.
Any one of these bed frame models are available in king size, which means that your options for decorating your bedroom are almost unlimited. It’s always best to pick a wide king-size bed frame if you share your bed with a partner and either one of you likes to switch sleeping positions a lot during the night. Because of the extra space, each partner can get in and out of bed without disturbing the other one.